Consultations are arguably the most important part of the entire breast augmentation process. Not only will you use the consultation to choose the right plastic surgeon for you; you will also use it to identify your goals for your breasts. This is why it’s so important to be fully prepared for your breast augmentation consultation.
If you’re not sure how to prepare for your consultation or you’re feeling nervous, you’ve come to the right place! We’ll help you understand what you can expect and which questions you should ask.
Take a look at the Plastic Surgery Channel video below to learn about online consultations from Dr. Adams.
What Should Your Consultation Goals Be?
It can be scary going to go into a consultation with no expectations about what’s going to happen. But even worse than that, it can leave you unprepared. You want to make sure you have goals in mind while going into your consultation so that you use your time with the surgeon wisely. You should have two goals during your breast augmentation consultation:
- Making sure the plastic surgeon is qualified and that you feel comfortable around him/her.
- Identifying realistic goals for your breasts with your surgeon.
What to Expect at a Breast Augmentation Consultation
At Dr. Adams Plastic Surgery, Dr. Adams and his specialized team will discuss your expectations and what changes can realistically be made to your breasts based on these expectations. You can also ask any questions you may have during this time.
Since Dr. Adams individualizes each one of his patient’s procedures, he will discuss the variables that may affect your surgery, including your age, the size and shape of your breasts, condition of your skin, and whether an implant is advisable.
Our patients’ favorite part of the consultation is typically the 3D breast imaging. During the first part of the consultation, you will receive a quick 3D scan to generate an image of your breast. From there, Dr. Adams will take very accurate measurements of your breasts. He will then create a 3D visual image of the expected surgery results so that you can see exactly what your breasts will look like after surgery.
While other plastic surgeons may use more imprecise methods, like stuffing, to show you what your implants may look like, Dr. Adams published a study in 2014 in The Aesthetic Surgery Journal that found that3D imaging is 98% accurate in showing final results during the consult. Patients love it.
How Do Online or Phone Consultations Work?
If you don’t live in Texas, an online or phone consultation can save you time and money. The goal of a remote consultation is a little different than a face-to-face consultation.
Remember, nothing can replace an in-person consultation. A virtual consultation is really just a preview, allowing you to make sure that the surgeon can do what you are looking for and that you feel comfortable with the surgeon. Once you confirm that the surgeon is qualified and can achieve your goals, you can book a face-to-face meeting for a more detailed discussion about the breast augmentation procedure.
Find out how to set up an online breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Adams here.
Questions to Ask
The best way to find out if a plastic surgeon has had extensive training in breast augmentation is to talk with them face-to-face. Remember, plastic surgery procedures are not regulated. You don’t have to be board certified in order to perform breast augmentations. That’s why it’s incredibly important to do your research and ask your plastic surgeon questions during your consultation. You should try to find a surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation for your surgery, like Dr. Adams.
Here are a few questions you should ask during your consultation:
- Are you an active member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)?
- Which boards are you certified by?
- How long have you been performing breast augmentations?
- How many years of training do you have?
- Do you have the privileges to perform breast surgery at a hospital?
- Do you specialize in breast augmentation?
- What procedures are you known for?
- Do you have any publications? If so, how many?
- Do you get invited give lectures on breast augmentation?
- How many breast augmentations have you performed?
- Which type of implant do you recommend for my breasts?
- Which incision site and placement site do you recommend for me?
- What are the risks and complications?
- How will my results look over time?
- How long will my recovery take and what will I be expected to do to make sure I have a safe and speedy recovery?
We hope this list helps prepare you for your breast augmentation consultation. At Dr. Adams Plastic Surgery, breast augmentation specialist Dr. Adams offers in-depth consultations to ensure that all of your questions are addressed, goals are identified and that you and he are a good fit.